Monday, August 6, 2012

Let's go fishin!!

Fishing at one of the many local lakes has become a summertime favorite for all 3 kids!  They are all so brave in taking the fish off the hook, too--not me!  I can put a nasty-gooey worm on the hook, but I'd prefer they grab the slimy fish and get him off!!
It's crazy how wherever we seem to go that Malia is the "sunny master"!  There will be other people fishing off the dock and who have probably been there for a time and caught nothing---then we show up and Malia starts reeling them in left & right!  Then Morgan and then Marshall start doing the same!  It's hillarious!

This last adventure brought a lesson with it!  There were probably about a half dozen "tween-age" boys fishing and then jumping off the dock--being what I assume is "normal"--except for the fact that their language was awful.  Every other word a swear word and bad ones at that--ones that make my kids' eyes go wide in unbelief that they just heard that.
I was getting pretty angry about their language and I could tell Tim was about to blow a gasket--well, of sorts--it's just sad that poor language has become so normal even in young kids like that--but anyways...they started noticing how Malia was catching all these sunnies and so one of them said to us--"hey, can I take the fish off the hook and throw it back in?"  Not sure why, but I said, "Sure you can, on one condition--that you all quit swearing while you're on the dock."  It was interesting to see their faces when I said that...they all looked at each other and then almost in unison said, "Ya, I think we can quit swearing while we're up here."  So, they got to throw some fish back in the water and we were able to fish in "peace"!!  Like I said to the kids...if people are doing things that you don't like or that you think and know to be wrong--it doesn't hurt to ask them to stop--in fact I've found that most times people will respect your wishes and not have a problem with it what you ask!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment